Gap Year = IMPACT Year at ACR
Impact Year at ACR includes extensive training and skill development, leadership opportunities, educational enhancement through research, self-discovery, networking with peers and ACR Homes leadership, and resumé-enriching additional benefits. A commitment to serving individuals with disabilities at ACR Homes with exceptional direct patient care in a group home setting for a minimum of 10-12 months will set you up for success in future careers, education, and life.
Benefits of an Impact Year
- $15.50-$17.50/hr + longevity increases
- $5000 Impact Award
- First Aid and CPR certifications
- Greater than CNA level healthcare experience
- Job/Work Experience
- Volunteer Hours
- Internship Completion
- Letter of Recommendation
- 1500-2000 hours of hands on patient care experience
- Relationships and community connections
- Professional mentor(s)
- Updated, enhanced resume and application materials
- Research paper and presentation
- Enhanced knowledge on new subject matter
- Self-discovery through experience, seminars, and book studies and evaluation of 10 characteristics of highly successful people
- Extensive Mock Interview Tips & Experience
- On-call experience
- 4-5 books for personal library with deep insight into each
- Access to alumni and other professional networking resources
What to Expect During an Impact Year
60+ hours of paid training on a range of topics related to high-quality care for people with disabilities, including but not limited to:
- Training on vulnerable adults
- Service recipient rights
- First aid
- Body systems and disease
- Medication administration
- Extensive medical equipment
- Health records and documentation
- Pharmacy procedures
- Hygiene & bowel management
- Seizure management
- Cultural competence
- COVID-19 protocols
- ACR Core Values
- Behavior Management and Behavioral Interventions.
- Full-time employment (38-40 hours/week) + additional unpaid internship tasks (approx. 38-42 hours/week combined, on average)
- Flexible, DCP/float scheduling and PTO to accommodate grad school interviews and internship tasks
- Direct Care 3 shifts/week at one base home of choice
- 4 “rotations” at various ACR Homes for remaining 2 shifts/week
- A team of peers for networking, growth opportunities, and community
- Explore passions with internship focus and gain further academic experience and knowledge under supervision of ACR CEO.
- Professional interactions, seminars, and workshops with ACR Homes leadership provides
- Opportunities for networking, interviewing skills, improved communication skills, and conversation starting
- Weekly group meetings and ongoing dialog with Core Impact Team
- Journaling and individual reflection/group discussion
- Free books with guided book studies
- Mock interviews with Mayo Clinic, ACR Homes alumni, and ACR Homes leadership
- Quarterly volunteer/community service – paid
- Monthly Educational/Growth-Focused Seminar - interview tips, resumé, cover letter, personal statement, etc. personalized to goals of group.
- 1,500 to 2,000 hours of patient care experience
- Leadership opportunity and on-call experience
- Step out of your comfort zone by working with people with disabilities, learn humility, branch out to new areas currently unexperienced.
- Ability to make a difference for people with disabilities, a group that has the potential to be underserved
- Gain experience caring for others
What to know before applying
- You must be eligible to work at ACR Homes and meet all employment requirements
- Core Impact Teams are limited to no more than 10 staff per cycle—space is limited.
- Intensive 3 part interview
- Your commitment must start no later than July 1st, 2021 but can be part-time over the summer. Must be full-time 8/15-5/31.
- Your Impact Year will require you to step out of your comfort zone in order to maximize the potential for growth and development.
- You will be working 38-40 hours paid weekly, with additional unpaid internship and development requirements.
- You will be on-call 1 weekend per month July-May (timeline will be adjusted to someone new to the company)
- You will be responsible for self-scheduling 2 shifts/week and managing your time and obligations. Your available shifts could include days, evenings, weekends, and/or overnights and includes fair share of holidays.
Did you miss the application cycle for this session?
Check out ACR's many other resume-boosting positions that start year-round!