YOUR GAP YEAR STARTS HERE
Impact Year at ACR includes extensive training and skill development, leadership opportunities, educational enhancement through research, self-discovery, networking with peers and ACR Homes leadership, and resumé-enriching additional benefits. A commitment to serving individuals with disabilities at ACR Homes with exceptional direct patient care in a group home setting for a minimum of 10-12 months will set you up for success in future careers, education, and life.
*We will be accepting applications for Impact Year 2024-2025 from March 15th - March 25th, 2024*
Gap Year = IMPACT Year at ACR
"I'd recommend any pre-med student in their application year to apply for impact year. I received personal advice from knowledgeable mentors and peers on my personal statement, secondaries, and interview process that resulted in a much smoother application process. The opportunity to work with like minded individuals all helping each other out towards a common goal is to good to pass up!"
Ian, Impact Year 2021-2022
"The most exciting part of impact year was being able to always have a small cohort of individuals to go along this entire journey with. Whether it be having fellow pre-meds to talk about the medical school application with, or having other peers to share our experiences working at ACR, having this small group allowed us to build friendships while experiencing new opportunities. It is always nice to have people who can relate to your own journey, and that's one of the best parts of growing alongside each other!"
-Priya, Impact Year 2021-2022
"As an aspiring Physician Assistant, I wasn’t sure how to maximize the time I had during my gap year, but being on the Impact team this year allowed me to do just that! I had the opportunity to connect with PAs through shadowing and mentorship, had received so much help and advice with the PA application process, and was surrounded by others who were in a similar stage as me which made the whole process much less daunting! The supervisors do an amazing job at creating a fun and collaborative environment for everyone to succeed! The support you get from being on the Impact team is beyond compare and I’m so grateful to have been part of this team!"
-Jucel, Impact Year 2021-2022
"Impact year was a wonderful experience because I was able to connect with other employees at ACR who were applying for professional programs and work together during the application process. I felt extremely supported by this group of individuals and it made the process of applying so much less intimidating since we were all experiencing it together. Impact year is an incredible opportunity to expand your professional goals while making a difference in the lives of the residents at ACR! The opportunities are endless and my professional skill set has increased exponentially since the beginning of impact year!"
-Megan, Impact Year 2021-2022
Join our exclusive cohort of 10!
Applications open March 15th-25th, 2024!
Benefits of an Impact Year
- Updated, enhanced resume and application materials
- Extensive Mock Interview Tips & Experience
- Letter of Recommendation
- 1:1 Mentorship from ACR alumni in the field
- Professional networking resources
- 1200+ hours of hands on patient care experience
- Internship Completion
- Research paper and presentation
- Resident Driven Impact Project
- Enhanced knowledge on new subject matter
- Flexible scheduling, PTO & Benefits
- On-call & leadership experience
- 17.00-$23.000/hr + longevity increases
- Monetary Impact Award for completion
- First Aid and CPR certifications
- Greater than CNA level healthcare experience
- Job/Work Experience
- Relationships and community connections
- Self-discovery through experience, seminars, and book studies
- 4-5 books for personal library with deep insight into each
- Volunteer Hours
What to Expect During an Impact Year
60+ hours of paid training on a range of topics related to high-quality care for people with disabilities, including but not limited to:
- Training on vulnerable adults
- Service recipient rights
- First aid
- Body systems and disease
- Medication administration
- Extensive medical equipment
- Health records and documentation
- Pharmacy procedures
- Hygiene & bowel management
- Seizure management
- Cultural competence
- COVID-19 protocols
- ACR Core Values
- Behavior Management and Behavioral Interventions.
- Full-time employment (38-40 hours/week) + additional unpaid internship tasks (approx. 38-42 hours/week combined, on average)
- Direct Care 4 shifts/week at your base home + 1 additional "float shift" of your choice at another ACR Home, for a total of 38-40 hours/week.
- A cohort of peers for networking, growth opportunities, and community
- Explore passions with internship focus and gain further academic experience and knowledge under supervision of ACR leaders.
- Professional interactions, seminars, and workshops with ACR Homes leadership provides
- Opportunities for networking, interviewing skills, improved communication skills, and conversation starting
- Weekly group meetings and ongoing dialog with Core Impact Cohort
- Journaling and individual reflection/group discussion
- Free books with guided book studies
- Mock interviews with Mayo Clinic, ACR Homes alumni, and ACR Homes leadership
- Quarterly volunteer/community service – paid
- Assistance and support with interview tips, resumé, cover letter, personal statement, etc. personalized to goals of group
- 1,200+ hours of patient care experience
- Leadership opportunity and on-call experience
- Step out of your comfort zone by working with people with disabilities, learn humility, branch out to new areas currently unexperienced.
- Ability to make a difference for people with disabilities, a group that has the potential to be underserved
- Gain experience caring for others
What to know before applying
- You must be eligible to work at ACR Homes and meet all employment requirements
- Impact Cohorts are limited to no more than 10 staff per cycle—space is limited.
- Intensive interview process
- Must be full-time week of 9/8/24 with all training completed beforehand
- Your Impact Year will require you to step out of your comfort zone in order to maximize the potential for growth and development.
- You will be working 38-40 hours paid weekly, with additional unpaid internship and development requirements.
- You will be on-call 1 weekend per month September-May (timeline will be adjusted to someone new to the company)
- Your shifts could include days, evenings, weekends, and/or overnights and includes fair share of holidays.
Did you miss the application cycle for this session?
Check out ACR's many other resume-boosting positions that start year-round!